I'm behind on photo organizing.. a sign that the weather has been too good to spend any more time than is essential in front of a computer!
Looking back on May photos, it's amazing to me how quickly both plants and babies grow!
Calvin and Vera joined us for a bike picnic up an open river bed on the Delta. Vast spaces, big sky, happy hearts
Melonie and Tom visited us from Anchorage.
Wonderful having them here and sharing home
Early summer at the sand pile
Leif and I flew to St. Paul to work with kids on a seabird documentary. This was part of the Pribilof Island Seabird Youth Network that is the main focus of my work at the moment. We had a full week getting to know the students I had been in Skype contact with during the school year, visiting the seabird colonies, and working with folk from the Alaska Teen Media Institute to make the documentary. Jordan came out to assist, and I was very thankful to have his help with Leif. Leif did great, but he was still waking up every couple of hours at night to feed, so my head didn't feel 100% there. But, the work went fine, and it was incredible to be back on an island with no trees, bracing wind, and seabirds. I felt I was home. And, I never thought I'd share this with a 7-week old.
Playing "chicken" in the Bering Sea
It still felt very wintery on the island, despite the birds on the cliffs
The class loved Leif, and he spent his days being passed around the girls and even went to his first basketball game!
Grandma came to Cordova to look after Peter (and Dustin) while I was on the island. THANK YOU Sharon. Peter loved being the only child again! And, Dustin, Peter and Sharon had some very special time together. Sharon stayed a few days extra to see Leif and I.
Not sure what this look means!
I love this photo.. it sums up the theme of Peter's summer... friends, bikes, and water
Peter, Calvin and Maggie contemplate the first ocean crossing on wheels
Biking with Calvin and Avery at Hartney Bay
A damp clamming outing at Hartney Bay (no clams were found..)
Peter and I got in a few good kayaks
May was also a busy month for home stuff... we raked and dried piles of grass in the meadow for winter compost material, planted the garden, and moved our first year of compost (from the compost toilet). We have a two year compost bin rotation system, so needed to clear out the two-year old compost to start afresh. The compost is on the garden, and plants are looking happy.
We've also been experimenting with drying seaweed.
Two brothers
Poor Peter.. his first real injury falling on pavement.
The three girls next door are like extended family, and sisters to Peter and Leif, and there are usually at least 3 other kids either here or next door. There have been some magical carefree times together this summer.. kayaking, trampolining, fires in the creek, and swimming.
3 comments:
Beautiful, simply beautiful! :)
Beautiful, simply beautiful!! :)
Wonderful! Sending lots of love!
Post a Comment